Thread: Welcome message
View Single Post
Old 22Aug2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Musa Millington
2000+ Posts

Thanked 1,028 Times in 554 Posts
Post Re: Welcome message

Wa Alaikum As Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuhu,

Welcome to the site. May Allah guide and protect us all also Ameen.

As for your concern it is without doubt a concern that is genuine that many Muslims across this country and worldwide would have. And although these concerns cannot be addressed through one post I hope that I can shed some light pertaining to it.

1. That the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) told us that there would be 73 different groups of Muslims and that all of them would be in the fire except for one and the ones who are saved are those who are upon what the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) was upon and his companions (رضي الله عنهم). This Hadeeth is narrated in Abu Dawood and other books of Hadeeth.

This shows us that the Ummah will separate into different groups and parties. However, when we see this separation it is a must to follow the way of the early Muslims. The Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) also said as in the Hadeeth of 'Irbaad Ibn Saariyah:

"Whoever lives after you will see much differences therefore upon you is my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Khulafa Ar Raashideen."

2. As for ascribing oneself to the correct belief and methodology then this is something lawful once it is done as a means of clarification and the one who does it is truthful. However, the word "Salafi" or "Ahlus Sunnah" should not be taken as a group of friends, a particular Masjid or even a person. Rather, this term is applied to the one who adopts the belief and methodology of the pious predecessors whomsoever he or she may be. Hence instead of using this long statement:

"I follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah upon the understanding of the pious predecessors"

One can simply say:

"I am Salafi"

This is done only with the intention of clarifying his methodology, not with the intention of sectarianism and partisanship as many would wish to make it appear to be. This is why Shaikh Naasir Ud Deen Al Albani mentioned that Salafeeyah is not a sect but rather a methodology.

I hope that this answers the basis of your concerns. If not feel free to ask further questions.

And Allah knows best.